The original building construction began in 1861 and it was finished in 1865.
Thru the years the building has been transformed several times. Henry A. Peeler builted the theater and wanted to name it ”Teatro de la Emperatriz” (Empress” Theater), since she was going to visit Matamoros, but the people demanded that the theater be named “Reforma”.
Since 1917 it served as a movie theater called “Cine Anteo”. In 1956, the theater was demolished. A modern construction took place and was leased to a private company to serve as a movie theater, and for thirty years continued as such.
In the 90”s was remodeled to its original architectural design. This theater used to give the community excellent performances in all different aspects of art and culture, such as opera, symphonic orchestra, classical music, drama plays, and many cultural events in the city.
It has been for the past eight years, the home of the ”International Autumn Festival”, giving the reason why Matamoros is recovering its once given title of: “The Athens of Tamaulipas”
The building that houses this theater commenced as a project that intended to mimic the Opera House in Paris and, as historic nuisance, was peculiarly inaugurated during the French invasion of 1865! The massive building was torn apart and dismantled in 1956 only to be rebuilt into a movie theater one year later.
A definitive restoration in 1991 gave this building its final look, and the theater its state of the art mechanical devices, dressings, lights and communication system. Its roughly 200 yearly performances include plays, festivals (such as the renowned Fall Festival), concerts, contests, special education programs and music jams.
Due to its location and tradition, the “La Reforma” Theater has become an important art promoter, and one of the most prestigious stages in the region.
Calle 6 S/N , Centro Histórico, C.P 87300, Matamoros, Tam.
Tel: (868) 812 0652, 812 7409, 812 5120