On the weekends at the Plaza, the people of Matamoros relax and enjoy one of the most popular traditions
The first time the Main Plaza was built goes back to 1800. Due to the amount of hurricanes that hit this area during that time, it has been rebuilted several times.
The first “Kiosko” was builted in the center of the plaza in 1889, most of the construction was made of wood in a Morocco style making it one of the architectonic treasures of the city.
On the weekends at the Plaza, the people of Matamoros relax and enjoy one of the most popular traditions ”A Saturday and Sunday at the plaza”. Shoe shine, ballons, candy, cultural events, music and every main town celebration, you”ll find at the Plaza Hidalgo a center of social and cultural tradition.
The City Hall has been recently rebuilted to become as it used to be in the 1800”s, making it atractive to tourists to visit.
In the 1800”s this was the perfect photograph for a sepia print: a thatch roof adobe house enclosed by a hesitant town square, horses and rancheros included. Flooding rains made it necessary to move the village”s geographic downtown 600 feet south of the original site, concluding the City Hall in 1831.
The square was then called Plaza de la Constitution, and renamed to Plaza Hidalgo honoring this archetypal Independence hero (author of the official “grito”).
Our main square has suffered several modifications due to severe hurricanes. In 1969 a section was decorated with Mexican files, with the kiosk at the core and is happily decorated with Christmas lights in winter.
This plaza is used for civic and military ceremonies, and is a gathering point by excellence by the local community.
Address: 6™ y Gonzalez, Col. Centro, H. Matamoros, Tam.